When you create an instance, it receives a private IP address. Your instance is accessible for other instances with this private IP address . If you want to access your instance(s) over the internet, you'll need to assign a (floating) IP to these instances. A floating IP is an IP address on a external network. A floating IP address gives access to an instance to a private network from an external network.
Allocating a floating IP
When you created your instance it was automatically assigned with a fixed internal IP address. This IP address is permanently connected to the instance until it is terminated. Unlike the fixed IP address, you can modify the floating IP connections at any time.
- Select your Project and go to Compute.
- Click Access & Security.
- Click the Floating IPs tab followed by Allocate IP to Project.
- Choose the Pool from which to pick the IP address.
- Click Allocate IP.
- In the Floating IPs list, click Associate.
- In the field Port to be associated, select the instance to which the floating IP should be associated.
- Click Associate.